Who doesn’t want thick, long, beautiful lashes? Adding a touch of feminine flare to our faces, lashes do so much more than just protect our eyes from dirt, dust, and wind. Anyone knows that thick, long lashes can add drama to even the most basic of looks, highlighting your eyes and giving a touch of mystery and appeal for a bolder, more daring appearance.
Unfortunately, we can’t all be blessed with killer lashes. But there are some products out there that can help you achieve that thick, voluminous look without the need for itchy extensions. Mascaras and eyelash primers work wonders to bring out the best of your lashes – and they come in a wide variety, guaranteeing that you’ll find the perfect fit for your needs and preferences.
If you’re sifting through the best mascaras with primer and you’re not quite sure which one to get, our complete review on the 5 top picks should lead you towards the right purchase.
[amazon box=”B0126RXEZ2,B0723BBLHL,B013H1JZ2W,B01M0T00U8,B06XW3HJD3″ template=”table”]
The Very Best Mascara and Primer Duo
[amazon box=”B0126RXEZ2″ grid=”1″]
Of course, it’s almost impossible to top L’Oreal when it comes to mascara. The brand has been in the industry for decades, and takes pride in its ability to come up with ultra long lasting formulations that give volume and length to even the shortest of natural lashes. For our list, their best contender is the L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Superstar Waterproof Mascara which comes with its own primer.
The double ended product features a long lasting mascara formulation that’s both smudge and waterproof. The brush for the mascara boasts a unique curving shape which hugs closely against your natural lashes to evenly coat them in formula for a consistent length all throughout.
In terms of the formulation, both the primer and mascara deliver great results. The primer goes on first, coating each hair with ingredients that make it easier for the mascara to fully coat and extend your lashes. After applying the primer, the mascara should be applied directly and immediately over the lashes to maximize the results of the product. What you get are fuller, thicker, dramatic lashes that are resistant to smudging and moisture for a longer lasting effect.
Pros of the L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Superstar Waterproof Mascara
- Easy to apply, with minimal clumping that many other mascaras tend to create.
- Doesn’t dry to quickly upon application so you can achieve longer lashes with each stroke.
- Adds a substantial amount of volume to give you a more defined, dramatic eye.
- Easy grip body gives you greater control over the application process for optimal results with each use.
- Waterproof and smudge proof, so you can confidently go about your day knowing your lashes aren’t making a mess.
Cons of the L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Superstar Waterproof Mascara
- Can be difficult to remove.
The Second of the Best Mascaras with Primer
[amazon box=”B0723BBLHL” grid=”1″]
Clinique is another one of those popular cosmetic brands that has earned a very reliable reputation for itself throughout the years. They’re best known for their subtle formulations that choose to highlight your natural beauty instead of masking it with harsh colors.
Their Dual-Ended High Impact Mascara and Primer Duo has to be one of their bestsellers. This product boasts a unique formulation that gives your overall look superb dramatic appeal that’s ideal for achieving beautiful, bold eyes. The secret lies in the primer formulation which coats each hair strand completely, prepping it for the mascara product and allowing each hair to become substantially easier to lengthen and darken.
Speaking of the mascara itself, the Clinique High Impact Mascara takes pride in the fact that it’s significantly darker than other mascaras on the market. This adds to the dramatic appeal of the product, giving you more definition to highlight your eyes and bring out your natural eye color for a stunning makeup look.
Lastly, it’s also worth mentioning that the Clinique High Impact Mascara and Primer Duo is a lot cheaper than other choices on the market. Coming in at less than 20 USD, the combination is definitely a steal, especially if you consider the fact that you’re getting 2 products in one.
Pros of the Clinique Dual-Ended High Impact Mascara and Primer Duo
- Ultra dark mascara formulation gives more definition and drama for a stunning eye makeup look.
- Optimized primer formulation coats each hair to maximize the effects of the mascara.
- Mascara stays in place for longer minus the chances of smudging or crumbling, allowing your makeup look to stay the same the whole day.
- Creates a full, voluminous look that competes with other, more expensive mascaras from luxury brands.
Cons of the Clinique Dual-Ended High Impact Mascara and Primer Duo
- Can be difficult to remove, especially if its left longer on the lashes.
Another Premium Mascara and Primer Find
[amazon box=”B013H1JZ2W” grid=”1″]
Trendy, hip, and popular, Tarte has to be one of the most coveted makeup brands for majority of the makeup artists and enthusiasts you’ll see these days. The brand is big on social media, having numerous influencers raving about their products to a wide audience. That’s how they managed to become so prominent in such a short period of time.
However, aside from having a vast number of popular personalities backing its products, Tarte actually offers some pretty impressive choices. So there really is some substantial quality behind the brand, and not just a bunch of popular faces trying to win over an eager and impressionable crowd. In fact, after searching all the different choices on the market, the Tarte Opening Act Lash Primer + Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara proves to be one of the best mascaras with primer there are.
This product boasts a gentle formulation that’s easy on the eyes and the skin – perfect for people with particularly sensitive skin types. The primer makes sure that the mascara pigment covers and extends each lash hair optimally, allowing you to achieve that beautiful, flirty look minus the need for extra coatings. So ultimately, with this Tarte combination, a little definitely goes a long way.
The only downside? Well, being that it is so popular, Tarte products tend to cost a little more than other choices. At almost double the price of other mascara and primer duos, this one might seem a little impractical especially if you don’t really want to spend all that much.
Pros of the Tarte Opening Act Lash Primer + Lights, Cameras, Lashes Mascara
- Non irritating formulation lets you use both the primer and the mascara without worrying about any side effects on your skin or eyes.
- Long lasting formulation stays on for 24 hours, resisting smudging and moisture to give you lovely lashes all throughout the day.
- Natural colored mascara formulation makes your lashes look effortlessly and naturally beautiful.
- Ergonomic wand makes sure each lash hair is properly and completely coated to get the best results with each use.
Cons of the Tarte Opening Act Lash Primer + Lights, Cameras, Lashes Mascara
- Costs more than other mascara choices on our list.
The Fourth Best Mascara and Primer Combo
[amazon box=”B01M0T00U8″ grid=”1″]
As one of Tarte’s biggest rivals in the cosmetic industry, Benefit Cosmetics provides its buyers with effective, long lasting, and trendy products that bring out the best of their beauty without having to be too over the top. The products are fun, flirty, and empowering to say the least, which is why they’ve earned such a great big following throughout the market.
Their best mascara and primer combination to date is the Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Tinted Lash Primer and Mascara Duo. What sets it apart from other mascara and primer duos is the fact that the primer itself is tinted, so you can get some color out of it even without having to use the mascara. So if you were thinking about going for a more subtle makeup look, then the primer might be more than enough to help you achieve what you’re trying to go for.
If you want something more dramatic though, the mascara formulation is definitely something you’d want to try. The formulation is rich, deep, thick, and dark, giving your lashes some superb drama and depth to define your eyes and bring out your eye shape. The wand on the mascara is also particularly impressive, allowing you to coat each individual strand of hair perfectly to give you that professional look minus all the time and effort.
Pros of the Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Tinted Lash Primer and Mascara Duo
- Tinted primer lets you achieve thicker, longer lashes that are perfect for that everyday makeup look without the need for mascara.
- The combination gives more realistic color to your lashes, making them look full and natural instead of theatrical and fake.
- The wand is designed to make application easy and effortless for beautiful lashes with each swipe.
Cons of the Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Tinted Primer and Mascara Duo
- The formulation may dry up in the packaging after some time of storage. Soaking them in hot water before use can help create a more ideal consistency.
Our Final Mascara and Primer Recommendation
[amazon box=”B06XW3HJD3″ grid=”1″]
The last mascara and primer duo on our list of the best mascaras with primer comes from Honest Beauty. Sure, it might not be one of those trendy makeup brands like Tarte and Benefit Cosmetics, but Honest Beauty does have its own, well established reputation in the market as one of the most reliable when it comes to irritant-free formulations that are perfect for sensitive users.
Their Truly Lush Mascara + Lash Primer Duo is one of the most popular mascaras on the market. The formulations are both paraben, paraffin, silicone, petrolatum, and fragrance free, allowing you to achieve the perfect lashes minus the chances of irritation and side effects. The primer is formulated to intensify the color of the mascara, and even promises to improve the integrity of your natural lashes all together. The applicator for the primer features short, narrow spaced bristles that help coat each hair perfectly, giving you just enough of a film to prevent the overuse of the product.
The mascara on the other hand is rich and dark, lending intense color and length to your lashes with an easy, short bristled applicator. The formula dries almost instantly, preventing the deep colored product from smudging or spreading over your eyelids for a clean and quick mascara application process.
While it is a great product, there is one downside to Honest Beauty’s Truly Lush Mascara + Lash Primer. That is, it doesn’t last as long as other choices. Many say that’s because of the formulation which has been stripped of a lot of the ingredients that make mascaras longer lasting. Nonetheless, it does provide great results, especially if you don’t mind retouching every now and then while you’re out.
Pros of the Honest Beauty Truly Lush Mascara + Lash Primer Duo
- Made without a lot of the ingredients that cause irritation and side effects on users with sensitive skin.
- Wand design features short, dense bristles which help create a more natural look with little effort.
- Each formulation is rich and effective, allowing you to achieve beautiful, long, lifted lashes without the need for a curler.
- Guarantees zero clumping and crusting, so you can have perfect, dramatic, and lengthy lashes without the mess that other mascaras tend to create.
Cons of the Honest Beauty Truly Lush Mascara + Lash Primer Duo
- Doesn’t last as long as other formulations, so you may need to retouch every now and then.
Still on the search for the best mascaras and primer combinations on the market? Don’t sweat it – we’ve done the research and we’ve made sure no stone was left unturned. So make sure to check out any of our five top recommendations to help ease your search and land you the perfect long lasting lash companion you need for those beautiful, dramatic, defined eyes.